Reverend Angelo, Associate Pastor of Worship, Vision and Emerging Ministries
Rev. Dr. Carlyle Fielding Stewart III (left), Senior Pastor of Hope United Methodist Church, stands with his Associate Pastor, Rev. Angelo B. Henderson as they visit Historic Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta, spending time with Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s wife, Coretta Scott King (right seated), and his sister Christine King Farris.
Brother Don Henderson, mother Ruby Henderson, Angelo, son Grant, wife Felecia and mother-in-law Ilah Perry Grant. Angelo has another brother, Roger A. Henderson and sister Elaine Henderson Smith, not shown.
Mr. Henderson, also known as Rev. Angelo or Pastor Angelo, is the director of community affairs at Triumph Church (www.triumphch.org), which has five Sunday services in Detroit, Canton and Southfield Michigan – recently ranked the fastest growing African American church in America. He united with Triumph in March 20111. Currently, he serves as a presider an rotates to all of Triumph's various campuses and works as part of the Triumph Church leadership team in the Office of the Pastor.
Mr. Henderson became an ordained deacon at Hartford Memorial Baptist Church in October 1998. In 2002, Mr. Henderson earned a degree in Urban Ministry (UMD) from the Ecumenical Theological Seminary in Detroit. In 2003, he was named worship leader and one of the Bible teachers for Youth Church at Hartford. He also served as a monthly bible study group home cell teacher. In addition, Mr. Henderson was one of the founding members of the Busters' Committee, a ministry targeting people ages 18 to 35 and participated in the shaping and formation of an upbeat, spirited Saturday Night Worship in 1998, often serving as liturgist and a member of the Praise and Worship Team.
Additionally, he was a member of the Jubilee Chorus for five years, as well as the Married Couples Ministry. Reverend Henderson was also a member of Hartford's Jubilee Bible Project, a partnership with Grosse Pointe Memorial Church.
Rev. Henderson was licensed and ordained as a recognized member of the clergy by the state of Michigan in December 2003 by Rev. Dr. Charles G. Adams of Hartford Memorial Baptist Church. In January 2004, Rev. Dr. Carlyle Fielding Stewart III named Reverend Henderson Associate Pastor of Worship, Vision and Emerging Ministries at Hope United Methodist Church, considered one of the largest and fastest-growing predominantly African-American United Methodist congregations in the nation.
His duties included:
- Propelling existing ministries to explore, evaluate and shape new church paradigms and new forms of worship, giving and outreach, positioning Hope United Methodist Church for the future.
- Overseeing Church Growth Programs, including managing the new church satellite project.
- Developing all levels of workplace ministries, developing strategies to get Christians to understand that the power, faith and joy that comes on Sunday morning can go to work with them on Monday morning.
- Assisting the Senior Pastor in problem solving and trouble-shooting, implementing solutions that support his vision.
- Maintaining the flexibility in off-site ministry to travel across the U.S. as a motivational speaker, preacher, lecturer, writer and trainer, further heightening the visibility of Hope United Methodist Church nationally.
Rev. Angelo had spiritual oversight over the following ministries:
- Administrative Board
- Church and Society (includes all political and electoral related areas)
- Peace Center
- Minds of Wisdom
- Career Transition and Employee Support
- Church Satellite/Growth Project
- Council on Ministries
- Gymnasium (CFS III - Family Life Center)
- Health & Welfare
- HIV/AIDS Ministry
- Nurses' Guild
- Legal Counseling Ministry
- Oversight of Hope Future
- Pastor's Advisory Board
- Revenue Enhancement (Capital Campaign)
- Guardians of Hope (volunteer Security)
- Volunteer Ministry
- Web Technology Ministries
- Wedding Coordinators
- Workplace Ministries
- Worship Arts Ministries
- Crossbearers of Hope Liturgical Dance (Hearts of Worship)
- Movement of Faith Step Ministry
- Visual Arts
At the same time, he also directed the following Worship-related Ministries:
- Altar Guild
- Communion Stewards
- Music Ministry
- Pastor's Aid Guild
- Sunday Worship Service
- Special Worship Services (Good Friday, Revivals, etc.)
- Thoughts for Children
- Worship Leaders
- Worship on Wednesdays (W.O.W. Services)
At Hope, he was the Clergy Advisor for the Communications Department, which includes:
- Audio and Video Ministry & Training
- Community Newspapers (Letter of Hope)
- Marketing and Advertising
- Print Media Ministries
- Public Relations
- Radio Broadcast
- Room Assignments
- Tape Ministry
- Technical Team
- Television Ministry
Meanwhile, he provided oversight of Hope Montessori Center, a preschool through 5th grade school as well as two other of the church's separate non-profit corporations: Hope Economic Development Corp. and Hope Economic and Community Empowerment, Inc.
His secondary responsibilities included:
- Monitoring the development of Internet worship services and E-tithing;
- Providing guidance for ministries with media-related needs and in public relations efforts;
- Supporting economic development efforts and engaging in community and corporate interface.
- Rev. Henderson also shares general ministerial duties, including counseling, preaching, and pastoral care; as well as some administrative responsibilities.